As promised, here’s a short introduction and an explanation on how to get your first 10 Turbine Points for free in Lord of the Rings Online.
The first ten points are pretty easy to receive. Just follow the following steps:
- Choose a server. I assume that you’ve already registered a free account and that you’ve already downloaded and installed the game succesfully 🙂 For my first character, I picked a server that sounded fun: Nimrodel. As for my “TP farming characters”, I just pick any server.
- Create your character. Now, if this is the character you’ll want to do anything and everything with, choose wisely. Think about the race, think about the class and everything. You can customize your character a bit in the creation screen once you’ve picked the race, the class and entered a name for your character. If you’re going for a farming character, just pick a race and class that you’re already familiar with.
- Once you’ve created your character, you can go along and follow the intro. As a free player you do NOT get the option to skip the Tutorial! The movies might not work properly. That’s a given. Don’t ask me why, many people have the same problem, choppy sounds and images, so don’t worry.
- If this is your first character, do all the quests you can. Sometimes it’s possible to take a few quests at a time. Make sure to do that, since it will save you a hell of a lot of time. In the meantime you can level your character and you can get more class skills. Don’t worry about finding a vocation yet, cause you can’t get a vocation in Archet. You have to have finished the tutorial first.
- Now, depending on your goal, just keep on questing and playing the game, or, if you’re like me and want to be able to play free and you’ve already got your “playing” character, for now finish all the main quests until you have seen captain Brackenbrook’s son (Quest: The Exiled Hunter). The captain’s son (Jon Brackenbrook) will have an extra quest, called “a little extra never hurt”. To speed things up even more, you can also choose to go directly to Jon Brackenbrook once you’ve arrived in Archet. Just head to the south gate, and from there go to the east until you see the Hunting Lodge. Enter it and find Jon Brackenbrook. Simply accept the first part of “A little extra never hurts” and then talk to Jon again to finish this part of the quest. You will immediately be presented with the second part, but you can simply decline that. From creating my character until doing this quest through the very fast path, it takes me fifteen minutes. I think it does depend on the speed of your computer a bit, since the movies play rather slow for me.
If you choose to do the second part of the quest, you’ll instantly loose the 10 points again. If it’s your first character, just do that, so that you’ve gotten the full experience and you know how the store works. If this is your “farming” character, just don’t the second part of the quest. You don’t have to do it to be able to continue the tutorial.
On how many servers and characters?
Up until now (July 23rd, 2011) I’ve got Characters on twentynine servers who have all done this quest. This quest can be done only once per server, so you gotta keep that in mind.
So far I’ve done this quest on the following servers:
Well, this is it for now.