Yesterday, Sapience announced the Lotro Community Site REVAMP. It starts July 28th and it’s estimated to last until Aug 1st. It is very well possible it may take longer than that, but we’ll see.
On Monday July 29 at 10AM Eastern time, the LOTRO Forums will be placed into read only mode and a forum, “Temporary Discussions” will be created for each of our supported languages (English, German, and French). Posts in these forums will not be saved or copied to the new forum. It is only being created so that players can continue to interact with us and each other during the maintenance. We encourage everyone to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to keep up to date as we will be posting updates and status changes there. If there are issues during the deployment our social media channels may be the only means available to us to update you. We currently expect the migration to take up to 4 days to complete.
What is staying and being improved:
The forums will be upgraded to a newer version of VBulletin. Changes will include:
- The forum styling/appearance will be updated and will now scale to the full width of your browser window.
- A new “Community Digest” page that will have links to lotteries, forums, and updated news.
- The reputation system will be discontinued.
- Forum performance will be improved.
- Forums should perform better on mobile devices.
The lottery widget is going away and a new Lottery page is taking its place. Several small changes have been made that should make it easier to see which lotteries you are eligible for, which you have entered, and your winnings after the fact. You should also now be able to see all lotteries, even if your character cannot enter them. The “no lottery” message should also now correctly state there are no lotteries running if there are no active lotteries.
I’m glad the Lotteries are returning and improved big time! With these improvements the confusion will no longer be there anymore, I think 🙂
Character Copy for Bullroarer and Beta. The character copy system we use for Bullroarer and beta testing will be improved and easier to use.
Well, I never used these, but I can imagine other players will be happy about this!
The following features are being discontinued:
- The LOTRO Lorebook
- Player Blogs
- PvMP leaderboards
- Skirmish Leaderboards
- Character and Kinship Data and Pages
- Signup Rewards
- Item Icons / Tooltips
- Signature System
A few notes to this:
- The Signature System only refers to the character banner with the character data. In the new forum we’ll still have a signature.
- I’m not sad to see the lorebook gone. It was way outdated, so I always go to the Lotro Wiki anyway.
- The Blogs: Well, mine was so screwed up at the official site from the start, I decided to have my journal here instead. I imagine more people did that for the exact same reason.
- Personally I never used the PvMP Leaderboards, Skirmish Leaderboards and the Character/kinship data and pages, so no loss for me there.
- I’ve asked if the referral system en signup rewards are going to be discontinued permanently. After all, it was said at least the referral system would be revamped. I think it would be very bad if the referral system and the Sign up rewards would be discontinued permanently!
For those of you who want Player Created guides, check out the list of everything I’ve already downloaded. Fill in the contactform if you want me to send you the guides you want. Please list each guide you want!
If you want more guides that are currently in the Lorebook, please let me know! I’ll download them and send them to you!